Sunday, July 27, 2008

Making Sense of the Christian Life

Even posing the question like this presupposes that we are on a quest to "make sense" of this life and then move on to living it. That notion comes from the way we do business every day. When taxes are raised, people want to know WHY. Someone who wants to invest money wants to know that there will be a worthwhile return on it. If it makes sense, we dive in.
But the life of faith does not work like that apparently. No way in the world you can get all your questions about God answered--in fact, He usually frustrates those who proceed like that.
This is not to say that there is no cost-counting involved, or that you must turn off your brain to become regenerated. It is to say that we are to become like little children and trust God. Not to do that is to be doomed. Period.
Maybe its like this: The Father says in his word that we are completely responsible for our sin.
You have a few choices when you hear that. The first is to say "well, I just can't believe in a God who says that." Or "Yeah I know I am a sinner, but isn't he gracious" and move on to another topic and never be struck with the majesty and awesomeness of his forgiveness. Or "Can't he cut me a break, I was tired, hungry, etc." But those responses will not yield forgiveness. Only someone who says from the heart "God be merciful to me, a sinner." gets home justified. We do not want to humble ourselves like that. It doesn't make sense.
Yet in another sense it does. God is a lot bigger than me. He is infinite, I am finite. He is perfect, I am fallen. Therefore I should trust that He will tell me the true path to happiness.
Does the sailor try to tell the captain how to navigate the waters? Nope. Again, this faith is a miracle. "All things are possible with God." Luke 9:23.

No comments: